Monday, August 4, 2008

Ever get the feeling you are being watched?

Security systems have been around for quite some time now. The are a very important element for the safety of schools, office buildings, parking lots, etc. They have significantly evolved in the computer age. The image of an oscillating camera with a red blinking light has changed to a little black dome hanging from a drop ceiling. Soon enough, there will be security cameras that are made to look like sprinkler heads. With the increasing numbers of cameras and equipment being put in, who knows who is looking in on the other side of the lens.
Most modern security systems use cameras coupled with dvr's (digital video recorders, kinda like your tivo) to collect video streams. Most of the time, these dvr's are connected to some sort of network where administrators and security officers can view the footage in case of an incident. But what about systems that include live monitors along with the dvr's (picture any cliche security office in any movie)? What's to stop someone from spying on what you are doing while you are in the view of the camera? Most people would think that ethics are what stop this, but in a world where I have come to distrust the ethics of many people, I can't help but feel like I am being constantly monitored under surveillance cameras.
I guess this fear comes from my job as a maintenance worker at a high school, where I am, in fact, monitored by my boss. I guess it is his management style, or it is the way he doesn't trust any one of us, I don't know, but I think its kinda ridiculous.
So what now? For me, its lasted all summer, and summer is almost over, so I have only 4 more days to deal with it but the precedent has been set, I will never be able to trust security cameras again.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Kinda spooky, and sounds an awful lot like Big Brother.